My final feedback for the printed ephemera project highlighted the fact that all the pages were exactly the same and now looking back at it I have realised after the editorial design project how to create consistency without having the exact same lay out on each page as I had done before. With this in mind I am going to spend time reworking the piece. Changing the layout around would help to improve the pace of the piece as discussed in my feedback.
To start with i have included pull out quotes to make the pages more interesting and give them white space. Using the ‘story’ tool I have aligned the text with text not the quotation mark. I have reduced the size and shape of the images to allow for more room for the text and white space.
After messing around with the layout and the type I think I have made a much better version although it still needs more work as some pages are much more successful but as I can’t reduce the content some pages are still over filled but I didnt give up the two page per artist rule.
Printing off rough copies of the booklet has really helped me in refining it as you can see what it looks like in print not only on screen – here i have circled and noted what changes need making to the ephemera to make it easier to read.
I have tried 3 colours of paper for the final print firstly a bright orange which worked really well for the covers but made the body copy really hard to read as the paper is so vibrant and the text so black it kind of blinds you.
I then tried a pale yellow colour but it just didn’t match the context of the booklet or the design either. LAstly i tried a pale peach tone which really works and allows the design the white space it needs unlike the orange which filled it.
I bound the book a little differently to how Nigel showed us to try and make the pages meet in the middle instead of having the gap that the crop mark produced.
During the first group tutorial after I had seen my peers work I have realised i could be a bit more adventurous in the way i have designed my printed ephemera – for example using bolder design features. I knew i wanted to keep the images quite big as the document is all about visual arts so it kinda makes sense the image is prominent. I want to make the pages quite striking so i had the idea of the images dominating the page visually but not overpowering – i decided to do this by using a triangle section –
The angle of the line draws the eye across the page and into the title and works really well as a way of splitting up the page so there is not too much blank space. I first set up the image on the page then body copy, title and description and dates last – this allowed me to get the columns and type right before adding the final touches.
The most challenging thing i found about the layout was trying to keep everything as consistent as possible when there was varying amounts of body copy on each page. And after having being advised not to have different column widths on one page as it affects the hierarchy of the page i had to mess around with the text trying to get it to fit which i think it does even on the fuller pages it still doesn’t look too squeezed on. Although the fuller pages were hard to organise the pages with less copies were harder as there was such much white space the page looks too empty if you don’t get the balance of graphic elements and whitespace right – but i think i managed to achieve the right balance in the end.
Cover – 7/12/2016
The front cover was quite tricky to get right as I wanted it to be simple but still visually interesting – i think the first example is just too busy and doesnt really match the inside of the booklet either so i pretty much started again and tried to restrain myself to the same kind of layout style and grid system i’d used inside the book. I think the second design is so much clearer and ‘slicker’ that the first (although there is a space in the middle of super that shouldnt be there) I decided when making the cover that the title needed to be in a different type face as the first one looks just odd really because it has to be in lowercase as that’s how designboom writes it. I decided to use the objektiv mk typeface from the dalton mag website because the x height is smaller than the one i was using so doesnt look stretched and i really like how rounded the characters are and think its very clear=n and looks organised which works well with my design inside.
After doing the front cover the back cover was quite easy i just stuck to the same kind of design layout it terms of using the grid including all social media links
I have had to change the majority of the images in some way, mostly just making them black and white and adjusting brightness and contrast.
For Jessica Walsh’s image to fit in the triangle ive allocated it needed to be longer – not just enlarged as then her face wouldnt fit. So in photoshop i have filled more space using the content aware tool and then used the paint brush to just blend – it just means I don’t have to enlarge the image as much for it to fit well within the space.
With the sawdust image i have had to move the two figures closer together in order for them to both fit in the triangle again –
Whilst rearranging the text on my pages i realised that the sentences were carrying over columns making in quite difficult to read fluently so trying to get the ends of the sentences onto the same column was important – i did this by making the column longer if there was enough space but in some cases i’ve had to change the leading to squeeze the sentence on, I dont think the change is THAT noticable and it makes the text so much easier to read.
HOWEVER after a tutorial with Neil i have had to change some of the grids around so all of the columns are equal – so they sentences carrying over columns seems inevitable – and the text is still easily readable anyway.